2010年2月22日月曜日

Reflection of Presentation #3



Group

a) The process of preparation and rehearsal
I thought as a group, we prepared enough time during and outside of class to discuss about our presentation. We did not have a formal run through rehearsal, so it would have been better if we have prepared more time on the rehearsal. Everyone cooperated very efficiently in our group, and we were pretty much prepared by the day before the presentation day.
b) The effectiveness of the introduction
I did the introduction, and I have started out with asking the audiences about the earthquake that had occurred that day, comparing it to the earthquake that hit Haiti. I think it was a catchy intro, however, it might have been better if we had visuals to put more dynamics to the intro.
c) The persuasiveness and organization of the content in the body
I think overall, our presentation was well organized in a sense that we have clearly stated what we are going to talk in the beginning and in the end. But, I think we have missed out on including the transitions, EX (Next, Maki is going to talk about...) so our presentation would have been more organized and clear if we have not forgotten to include this.
d) The conclusion and Q&A
Naoko did wrap up the presentation concisely and reviewed the points we have presented clearly. The Q&As were very intense and I think we have interacted well with the audience, but sometimes we have skipped the "conforming the questions" and also "following up the questions".
e) Use of visuals
The visuals were okay, but we could have done better by putting more emphasis or dynamics on each slides. Sometimes I found the slides a little bit dull and boring. I think it was good that we showed videos and put pictures in that we actually took, and not from what we obtained from the internet.
f) Body language: Eye contact, facial expression, gestures, and posture
I think we really did great on this part, we were all able to talk enthusiastically about the problems in Haiti and explaining the desperate need for help. We all moved around a bit and sometimes pointed at the screen for explanation, and I these little actions keep the audiences involved in our presentation.
g) Use of voice
I think the use of voice was well done, since in the video I could hear everyone's voices clearly. I think our speed of voice was just okay, no one spoke extremely fast or extremely slow, and it was a good pace for both the natives and the non natives to be able to understand the content.
h) Other points (as you like)
We have done well in trying to persuade the readers into donating the money to our organization, and I think we had reasonable points as well. however, I think the presentation could have been MUCH better if we knew what we wanted to say by heart, without looking at the notes. We all tried hard not to look at the notes, but it was also difficult for us to really understand all of the content and memorize it in such a short period of time.

Individual

a) The process of preparation and rehearsal
I have put in decent amount of time for preparation, but I could have tried harder. I did a rehearsal for my own part, and tried to present it by heart, and before the presentation, i was ready to present without looking at the notes. However when I stood in front of people, immediately I had forgotten everything that I have memorized and was urged to always peep at the notes. I believe that I actually was not fully prepared to present it by heart, and needed more time to rehearse.
b) The effectiveness of the introductionMy introduction was pretty effective, and very formal. I changed the words around a bit but followed the "useful phrases sheet" that Marc gave us. The attention getter was effective, but I thought I could have changed my voice tones to illustrate the serious conditions in Haiti when explaining that the earthquake that hit Haiti is nothing compared to the ones we have experienced that morning day of the presentation.
c) The persuasiveness and organization of the content in the body
I believe we had persuasive points to ask for donations to our organization. However, it was difficult to explain the details of what this organization was intending to do with the money since Haiti icu is an organization that had just been established, and there needs to be more time in order for it to become a more solid organization. for my part, I think I was able to confront the audiences that the situation in Haiti is extremely serious, and many supports are essential in helping the people.
d) The conclusion and Q&A
For the Q&A, I got stuck on what I wanted to say and couldn't find the exact word to express my opinion, and created a long pause when answering kohei's question. I think I really need to improve on the Q&As, because I often tend to think after the presentation is over, I am all DONE, but actually this is not the case and Q&As are important part of the whole presentation as well. I should always remember to conform and to follow up the questions and answers.
e) Use of visuals
I think I used the visuals effectively by including dynamic pictures and videos. I think the video of 360 view of the roads of Haiti caught the audience's attention. It was a very useful tool in presenting the situations in Haiti at a more closer point of view.
f) Body language: Eye contact, facial expression, gestures, and posture
I have tried to make eye contacts with every one of the audiences, but in the video it seemed as though I was just staring at the wall or something else. Facial expression was okay, and because usually in presentations I tend to be energetic and happy, it was difficult for me to shift my facial expression and gestures with a more calm and serious attitude.
g) Use of voice
I think i used a voive clear enough for the audience to listen to. I tried hard in putting emphasis and chnaging my voice on important points, but in the video I was not able to recognize it, so more improvement is necessary.
h) Other points (as you like)
This was not my BEST presnetation, and by watching the video I have noticed several points that I could improve on. I really enjoyed this topic, and I was able to speak with confidence and enthusiasm.

2 件のコメント:

  1. Impressions:
    Your group's presentation was really persuasive and easy to follow. Everyone seemed to have a lot of confidence and it made the contents very persuasive. Good time management and use of visuals.

    Good points of your group:
    The best point was that everyone in your group looked really confident. All slides were clear and captured main points. I liked how your group insisted the merits of donating for organization running by ICU students rather than general charity organizations.

    Good point of individual presenting:
    You did amazing introduction! I loved how you brought the story of earthquake just hit Tokyo on that morning which catches my attention perfectly. Throughout your presenting, you looked very confidence, talked with passion with effective pause. I liked how you used video. It strengthened your claim of the seriousness of Haiti's present condition.

    Suggestions
    I think your group could have put some points made in Q&A part since they seemed very important to make your presentation more persuasive one.
    Although you didn't read much of script, it would have been even better if you used eye contacts effectively by having eye contacts with every single audience. Also in Q&A part, you tend to forget to confirm question( although everyone does) so it's nice to keep the process of Q&A in mind to make your presentation perfect! But overall it was great presentation.Throughout this class I always thought you are such a great presenter who have ability to deliver your message with a confidence!:)

    返信削除
  2. Hi Maki,

    Impressions:
    I felt your group was very successful in communicating your message that the people in Haiti are in urgent need of short and long-term assistance, that funds are lacking, and that a donation through Help for Haiti ICU would be used responsibly and also contribute to developing global awareness and social activism among ICU students. The presentation was very nicely organized and delivered. The visuals supported your message well.

    Your Good Points:

    -Good start referring to the small earthquake in the morning, giving the thesis and preview, and showing high impact video images. Nice use of phrases. Very professional.
    -Excellent, excellent voice. Clear, sincere, and articulate.
    -Good use of notes in many parts. Keeping one hand free for gesturing is good.

    Suggestions:

    -As you mentioned in your self-analysis, more eye contact seemed possible. Try to keep a rhythm of pausing and checking notes, and then looking up to explain your point with eye contact.
    -Trust yourself more. Let go of the script. In some parts you spoke without referring to your script and it was very, very effective. I think your English is fine for connecting ideas. Keep finding the best balance for using notes.

    Nice work on this presentation and good luck in future presentations!

    Mark

    返信削除