2010年2月23日火曜日

Reflections on AEP

a) What are the most valuable things you learned about the process of preparing and delivering presentations? (2 or more)

In the process of preparing and delivering presentations, I have learned the importance of rehearsal and the effectiveness of the use of visuals. Firsat of all, beofre taking this class I have never really rehearsed before giving a presentation. However, by learning the importance of this process in AEP, I have experienced that rehearsing before a presentation is one of the most important factors in gicing an well structured presentation. I have come to notice that if you rehearse, you are able to convey the message to the audience smoothly, and there is a less chance of getting stuck on what you want to say, or losing focus. The second valuable thing I have learned is the use of visuals. When a powerpoint is not required for a presentation, I have never made the effort to use it, but I have learned in this class that this is a big mistake. Through watching other students' presentations, I realized that visuals are essential in order to concisely state your main points and mos importantly, catch the audiences attention. Showing one dynamic picture DOES leave a strong impression on the audience.


b) In what presentation skill areas do you feel you have made progress or improved your awareness? (2 or more)

First of all, I think that my use of voice has improved a lot throughout this AEP course. I have always had problems with the tone of voice, and the speed of the way I speak. I had always tend to mumble and the audience could not understand what I was saying, and I speak at a extremely rapid speed during a presentation. I believe the reason behind these actions were that I was very nervous and frightened about giving a presentation. However, the class mates in the AEP course were all very generous and kind, so I was able to give out my presentation more comfortably , and also was able to control my tone of voice and speed so that the it is easier for the audience to listen to.
Another skill that I have improved in is the skill for Q&As. When giving a presentation before taking the AEP course, I have never confirmed a question or a follow- up, and just simply answered what I was asked from the audience. However, in the AEP course, I have learned that the Q&A sections are an essential part when giving an effective presentation. Answering the listener's question in a way that they are sastisfied with, is extremely important when giving out a persuasive presentation. And by conforming and following up the question, it awares the other listeners to think about the question, and deepen the understanding of the content. By taking this course and understanding the importance of Q&As I applied this skill on other course's presentations, and I got great feedbacks form the listener and one of them had told me my Q&As were comprehensive, and clear.


c) What points do you want to improve further in your future presentations? How can you improve those? (2 or more)

In my futhur presentations, I want to work on my body gestures. When I am watching the presentation videos, I am constantly at the same spot, using too much hand getsures, and a hunched back posture. Because I do this sunconsciously and never realizes it during a presentation, it is very important for me to always keep in mind about my use of body language. I can achieve this by doing a standing rehearsal and asking my friends to point them out. Also, I want to learn how to make a good introduction. Specifically, I want to learn more and improve more on how to use jokes effetively in the introduction. Some people have the nature talent, but unfortunately I don't, so I will keep trying by imitating my friend's jokes or like we did in class, looking them up online and practing it on other people.
Also, I need to improve on being prepared enough to not look at the notes and know what I am going to sy by heart. In the presentation video, I have the tendency to constantly look at the notes, and this distracts me form making eye contact with others and gives an impression to the listeners that I am unsure about my content. As for the solution, I will just have to REHEARSE REHEARSE REHEARSE!!!!
I truly think that this is the only way to memorize the content by heart.

1 件のコメント:

  1. Maki,

    I'm glad to see that you picked up many insights into effective presentation skills, especially regarding the importance of rehearsal and visual images.

    I hope you can continue to improve your ability to present well. Good luck with posture, eye contact, introductions, and rehearsals!

    Mark

    返信削除